5131

Life in the UK Test – What happens if you fail it?

Life in the UK test

If you fail the Life in the UK Test you can take it again.  You can take the test over and over again until you pass.  But each attempt at passing the test does cost you time and money. You can still live in the United Kingdom even if you fail the test until your Leave to Remain expires.

If you decide to take the Life in the UK Test over again:

• You will have to go through the same process over again, register and pay for the test, study, and finally take the test again on the scheduled day.

• Each attempt to pass the test costs £50.

• The earliest test you can take is seven days from when you book your test.

• You can change the time and date of your test up to seven days before your test and you will not have to pay the fee again.  Be sure that you have nothing scheduled on your test day so that you have plenty of time to take your test.

• Make sure that you come to the test with the exact same ID that you registered with.  If the details on your ID don’t match identically the details you entered on your registration then you will not be able to take your test and your test fee will not be refunded. This ID that you bring must be an original document (no photocopies will be accepted).  And make sure you also bring proof of your postcode to your test, and that it matches exactly the information that you entered on your registration.  Without this proof you will not be able to take your test and your fee will not be refunded.

How to increase your chances of passing the Life in the UK Test a second time?

• Read your notification letter to know which questions you answered incorrectly.  Look through the official handbook to find the correct answers and take notes to memorise in case you come across the same questions on the next test.

• If you feel that a big reason you failed the test is because you don’t have a good grasp on the English language, then attend ESOL classes (English for Speakers of Other Languages) and British citizenship classes.  This will help you improve your English language skills so that you can better memorise and understand the information in the handbook.

• Take practice tests. Practice tests will test your knowledge and understanding of the handbook.  You can find these tests online.  We have a Complete Online Training Program for the new Life in the UK Test.  Our training program provides practice tests that are presented in the exact same look and format as the official test.  You will become skilled at choosing the correct answer from a variety of similar answers, just like in the official test. Our practice tests cover the entire content of the official handbook  and enable you to efficiently memorise all the official handbook information.

So, as you know, the test is very challenging.  It is important to feel confident and well prepared on your official test day.  We believe that if you follow our recommendations, you will maximise your chances of passing the Life in the UK Test. We wish you the best of luck!

Prepare for your Life in the UK Test
Learn more about our Complete Online Training Program

61 Comments » for Life in the UK Test – What happens if you fail it?
  1. Ange umuhoza says:

I would like to know how u enter in practice .if you finish to buy life in the uk test

• admin says:

In step 1, you created your account with us, so you must have created a username and a password. Please use them to login into your account, in the “LOGIN” section of our website on the top right corner of the page.

• Suhan Khan says:

what if i do not have my passport with me? the reason why is home offices have it at the moment but i want to do this test now? is it possible to do it without passport or any photo id card?

• admin says:

It is best if you contact the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

2. SAID says:

HOW CAN I GET USERNAME AND PASSWORD ?PLEASE CAN U SEND ME MY EMAIL? THANK YOU

3. CABDISMAD says:

I like uk life thest

4. nihila says:

How can I book the test?

5. angosom says:

I am not fiend the test can you help me ples

6. Rabiaa says:

Hi admin

After paying this amount £29. When or how long can I use this this practise just wanted to know incase if I fail. What is the expiry times

7. Ahmed Ali says:

The real test and above practice is same or ? Thanks .

• admin says:

According to our customers’ reviews, our practice questions are very similar (if not the same) to the actual real test questions. Good luck!

• Abiola Bankole says:

To whom it may concern, i have been trying to change my test date to 15/04/14 instead of 21/03/14. But unfortunately i t was very difficult, please i need your help.

Many thanks
        Abiola

8. Fiza says:

if you fail; do you have to wait for 7 days or you can book another test after two weeks?

9. nacer lounnas says:

hi, i get married on march 2010 with european than im going to apply for the idefinite leave to remain on march 2015 wich is 5 years .do i need the test of life in uk or i need it for the british citizenship?

10. saf says:

Are you saying that if I fail my test , I can claim my £29 back from yourselves?

• admin says:

If you complete 100% of our training program and fail your test, we will refund you. You will have to email us a proof of your test failure.

11. Sam says:

My friend has failed her life in the uk test 7 times, she has only till the 22 June to gather all her paperwork and pass this test. She is using the hand book, when she sits the test she is facing new questions. Please can you give me some help and guidance and assurance that your technique, if she purchases this, will give her a pass? I am really worried for her and would like some advise urgently in this matter. You can email me at my email address that I have given. Kind Regards, Sam

• admin says:

Hi Sam. We cannot guarantee that she will pass, but based on our customers’ testimonials, our program is very helpful at preparing for the test. If she completes our training program, she will be well prepared.

12. sraikwar says:

Hi,
    How soon can I sit for the test before I become eligible to apply for ILR?

13. Marie says:

I book a test before but didnt let me to take a test,because i use my brp,for registering which my middle name they make it short they its just O.,but i register in registering the whole name of O.bcuse thats what they asking,whole middle name,but didnt allow me to take a test,whcih its fine bit upsseting but no worries,
    And now i had my another test yesterday and i didnt past it :(,i really cry and feeling so disapointed,Its say there responsiblity to become Uk citecenship is to look after your self and your family,

To be fare because of this stressful test,i lost my apetite to fix my hair etc,because of stressing of this,and instead looking after my son,plannig to go to nursery ,so atleast hes not pitty just always stay at home,now i prepare to stay at home for awhile because i want to focus on this test,the time for my family is nearly gone,i feel posta natal depression on thsi test,

Hoping to get my settlement,so atleast the next move is to get over my son and bring here,so we are gonna be a happy family,
    but what still hopeing,Makes me feel bad,i am not bad person, honestly when heres old man fall down to the waitng bus,hes noise is bleeding ihelp him,
    When theres a grandma,at tesco pushing her trolley,and she looks not well iask my husband to comeback,to check if shes ok ,and if she want a lift,
    When theres a grandma in the surgery she fall down the stairs trying to find whcih level she need to go,theres few people help her,but even my appointment is done,wtih my son,i still check her if shes alright and she still crying and waitng the doctor i massage her back,and didnt left her till i re assure she will be ok,
    This is killing me i am not counting my good deeds,all the just hopeing is to be with my family complete family with my son .
    We are genuine relationship and irespect the law and happy to learn about the clture and history,but why everytihng try to make it complicated,
    Now i need to book another test,because i failed ,but they didnt let me book ,theres no any slots available,My visa is running,
    I need to book a test this december my visa is january 8th tihs is so stressing me so much,:( 🙁

14. Suzy says:

I have book the Life In The UK test for the 29th of November, however my visa is due the 10th of December. I booked my appointment almost 3 months ago, but didn’t realize that all the appointments would be booked up months in advance, though I took the first one that was available. So now if I don’t pass, I won’t have time to sit the test again before my visa is due. Do you know what I can do if I don’t pass? Can I get an extension of my current FLR(M) visa, or ???
    Thank you!

15. Ogechi says:

You said One must complete 100%of your online program to asure a pass in the life in uk test ,how long does this program take,does it contain questions and answers or how exactly does your program work.i am currently reading the hard book but if your program is guaranteed to pass I wil buy it.looking forward to your reply.thanks.

• admin says:

We cannot guarantee a pass. However, we can help you as much as possible to prepare for your test. Based on our customers’ testimonials, our program is pretty effective, but you still have to practice a lot. Good luck!

16. Ogechi says:

Please let me know how your program works if it contains questions and answers and how long it takes to finish it.
    Thanks.

• admin says:

Yes our program contains questions and answers. How long it takes to finish it really depends on you, but 2 weeks of studying should be enough. The more practice the better though.

17. zegham gujjar says:

i fail two times plz guide me which book is best for prepration plz let me knw thnks

18. Lisara says:

I fail last week and I want some advice how to do to memorise all this question and I’m stressing here.

• admin says:

It is very hard to memorise all the questions just by reading the book. That’s why we created a training program that helps you memorise the content of the book, while preparing you for the test format. But you still have to practice as much as you can, we can only guide you. Good luck!

19. sonny says:

Hi, i passed b1 2012 and applied for leave to remain in uk and i haven’t apply for citizenship . do i still need to pass life in the uk test?
    and are there any changes in April or 2015?
    many thanks

• admin says:

To determine if you have to take the Life in the UK test, you should call the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.).
      As far as we know, there is no change in this test for 2015.

20. elizabeth says:

Hi there i just trying to do the test but i fail it 3 times i just wanted to know if i have to do it i came over to the uk when i was 14 years old and i got two childrens they were born in here and the have got the british passport can anyone please let me know if any chance for me ..thank you

21. Carmen E Avendano de Scott says:

I am married to English person for 31 years, I live in England since 1999, I have Indefinite Resident Visa and I would like to know if I have to do the test to be UK Citizenship?
    Many thanks

22. Amira says:

Hi there I failed 3 times life in the UK test and I’m very stressed and confused now which book is the correct one is it the question and answer one or the other one becouse im trying to take the test again pls help

• admin says:

Hi Amira. The correct book to study is Life in the UK: A Guide for New Residents (3rd edition). We actually include this book in our training program. Good luck!

23. Gavin says:

I am quite shocked at these questions. The MAJORITY of British people would not be able to answer them without going back to school first! I consider myself well educated but could not recall half of the answers from schooling… I hated history classes too… What exactly is this aiming to achieve? Also – what annoys me is that my wife, who is not British, but has lived here for longer than she lived in her own country, and has paid tax, NI, etc. more than loads of people who are British, and she has to answer to this to become British when those loafing off the state couldn’t answer it. This is purely a tax/or fee to enter UK. Why don’t we just move over to the Australia points system and make it mandatory that English has to be spoken first. Surely if you have been in the country for over 20 years, and have always been employed paying your tax and NI and your permanent residence is UK (i.e. you no longer have rights to vote in your own country) you should be allowed to naturalise yourself as a British Citizen without a stupid test that most UK residents could not pass; ok perhaps a fee.. (I wonder how many MPs would pass this without revising)

24. Gel says:

Life in the UK test is full of shit for genuine immigrant . I watched in YouTube Cameron didn’t answer the question. Its unfair to this exams. Many British here didn’t know the historic & laws in UK almost 90% can’t answer the test.what more to the immigrant very unfair…government always MONEY MONEY..MONEY!!!!!!!

25. Mr says:

Guess how much money they get from us,who failed 6-7 times = 300-350 pounds from one person,hey I know English history better then England know about itself,and they didn’t allowed me to go on the test because my third name wasn’t in my new passport,what the hell,I was so angry,money grabbing scumbags,I will pass it like it or no!

26. kenneth awuah says:

I was DUE TO APPLY FOR INDEFINITE LEAVE TO REMAIN BUT BECAUSE I WASNT PREPARED TO WRITE THE ”LIFE IN UK TEST” I had to apply for an extension of leave in order to prepare and write it. My question is I have been given 2yrs until July 2017. Can I apply for indefinite anytime before the 2yrs given after I have passed the test? or do I have to wait until the 2yrs before I can apply even though I have passed the exam.

27. George says:

Hello,

Please how soon can I sit for the test before I become eligible to apply for indefinitely leave to Remain (ILR)?

I will appreciate your response so i can know when to start preparation for the test

28. philip duodu says:

please I want to leaning the life in uk test

29. fatima says:

Hi Iam trying to memories the life in the UK book, but I have small baby and I don’t have much time to learn it plzzzz help me I just want to leave because of this test 😞😞😞😞😞😞

30. Samantha says:

My husband is due to take the life in the uk test but cannot read well. I am currently helping him to study by reading the study guide with him. My question is. Is there an audio option at the test centre? Whereby the questions could be read out to him?

• admin says:

Hi Samantha. For any questions regarding the Life in the UK test and the requirements for this test, please contact the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

31. Edith Mukandoli says:

Hello there,

I passed my life in the UK test in 2015. I am due to apply for indefinate leave to remain in November 2017. Will the one i got in 2015 still be valid? Does it ever expire?

Thank you.

• admin says:

Hi Edith. Your Life in the UK test should still be valid. Please confirm with the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

32. Sami says:

Hello there
    I want to know which test off the year we need to learn now ?

33. Zara says:

Hi , i wanted to ask that i booked my life in the uk test and they charged 76 pounds for this test… now i read that there are some fake website who charge more … can anybody tell me still then i can give my test and it will be valid …