5294

Life in the UK test from October 28, 2013: Are there any changes?

Life in the UK test

According to the Home Office, all individuals wishing to settle in the UK should demonstrate their commitment by learning English and by having an understanding of British history, culture and traditions.

Therefore, from 28 October 2013, unless they are exempt, all applicants for settlement or naturalisation as a British citizen will need to meet the knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement by:
– passing the life in the UK test; and
– having a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent.

Many people are wondering if these changes are affecting the Life in the UK test itself. So it is important to note that the test itself has not changed. The test has the same format, and is based on the same study guide (“Life in the United Kingdom: A Guide for New Residents”) as before October 28, 2013. So just to be clear: no changes have been made to the test. The requirements (for settlement or naturalisation) have changed, but not the test itself.

According to the Home Office, a certain level of English (speaking and listening) is necessary for a successful integration into the British community. It is true that being able to communicate with the wider community (not just your own community) is essential for many practical reasons, to find a job, to understand all kind of administrative/official procedures, to start a business, to travel around, and so on. The Home Office will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that your speaking and listening qualification in English is at B1 CEFR or higher.

Also, according to the Home Office, it is essential that people who want to live permanently in the UK have a minimum understanding of British traditions, culture and history. The Life in the UK test is the way to test this knowledge of life in the UK.

For a full overview of these new requirements, go to https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/182545/statement-of-intent-koll.pdf

Prepare for your Life in the UK Test
Learn more about our Complete Online Training Program

233 Comments » for Life in the UK test from October 28, 2013: Are there any changes?
  1. Zara rogers says:

I need help to take the life of uk test

2. celine says:

I need to ask question the 2013 exam Life in the UK test is that the same book and question for the 2015 exam?thank you celine

• admin says:

We can’t say for sure if the the Life in the UK test material will be the same in 2015. They just updated the test material this year, so it should be the same.

3. Heather says:

Your personal blog, “Life in the UK test from October 28,
    2013: Are there any changes?” was worth commenting on!
    Simply just needed to mention u really did a tremendous
    work. Thanks for your effort ,Latoya

4. ESTHER AKO-NAI says:

How do I get the complete programme to study online.

5. Hamam says:

Hello, I m planning to have the life in the UK in March next year. When is the best time to buy your online test? Once I purchase it, will I be able to practice the test for many months? or how does it work?
    I’ll appreciate any information, many thanks. Hamam

6. asi raj says:

HI SIR i want to some question , can u tell me can i apply before 28 oct i dont need any thing like that deplomas

7. asi raj says:

can i apply marrige visa , i have b2 diploma

8. parvez says:

hi sir nice to hear that nothing has been changed in the test but still want to know if they made any single change in the book or test.

9. Herlina B Hung says:

hi i ve got two handbook called life in the uk study guide and practice test question and answer is t the right book? thankyou.

• admin says:

Hello Herlina. Make sure your books refer to the new 2013 study guides called “Life in the UK: A Guide for New Residents (3rd edition)”.

10. Adejoke says:

I have a Law degree taught in english from Nigeria and i have taken some in-house courses in the U.K and have in-house certificates for those courses taught in English. I also have the IELTS Certificate from Nigeria. Do I still need to write another English test?

11. fatima says:

so do you need to take the life in uk test as well as having the english qualification? and what do you do after passing the test?
    thankyou

12. hawa says:

I have completed the ESOL Course ENGLISH SPEAKERS OF OTHER LANGUAGE from Entry 1,2,3 , level 1, 2 with Citizenship in College. Do I need to take the Life in the UK ? Thank You

13. Marianne1520 says:

I’m planning to give my test next year before March,will there be another new 4th edition or this 3rd edition will be same?

14. Rosy says:

I’m planning to take exam by next year march , will 3rd edition be same or there will be another 4th edition?thanks

15. serpil says:

hi,what does b1 cefr mean?is it mean entry 3?

16. jaz says:

WHAT IS B1 MEANS ENTER 3

17. jaz says:

life in uk test is it expire date

18. Dammar says:

Hello sir,

I have done my litracy level 2, do I still have to do ESOL entry level 3?

Many thanks

Dammar

19. Simona says:

Hello i wanted to know if i have to take any additional test apart from the Life in the UK test? Like a speaking and listening test? Please any information would be very much appreciated

20. Hisham says:

Hello

I have passed life in the UK Test Edition on Feb 2013 after studying the old book before the 2013 Edition.

Is this test valid to apply for my residency or do I need to study the 2014 Edition and do the test again?

Also, is the 2014 Edition different to the 2013 Edition?

• admin says:

Normally no you don’t need to re-pass the test. To be 200% sure, you should double check with the Life in the UK test helpline on the number below:
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.

21. jomon kuriakose says:

HI ME AND MY WIFE PLANNING TO TAKE THE EXAM ON MARCH OR APRIL ,I do have some doubts to be cleared
    1) how do i take this test??is it online or in any exam centre?
    2)My wife recently cleared IELTS Exam with 7 bands on all modules,is she need to take this test
    3)is their any time period for this test?
    many thanks

22. Tofiq says:

Hi
    I am 16 years old and I was wondering if I need to take the Life In the UK Test.

Thanks

• admin says:

Normally no. But do contact the Life in the UK test helpline, on the number below, to double check for your situation:
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.

23. sukanya says:

Speaking and listening in English qualification B1 CEFR is there different from ESOL entry 3 ? or their are similar?

I studies ESOL course at the moment to improving my English is there different from ESOL course with citizenship? really confusing!!!!!! can you advice please ?

24. rhay says:

HI,

Was about ordering a book on amazon titled “Life in the UK Test: Handbook 2014: Everything You Need for the British Citizenship Test ”
    Is this also the right book to use? or does it have to be the TSO one only?

I’d appreciate your assistance with this.

Thanks

• rhay says:

..and by the way, it’s a blue paper back book. I have seen it with someone else in the past but I need to be sure before committing to it. Thanks

• admin says:

Our handbook is up-to-date and is also the right one to use. Our handbook is a reproduction of the TSO handbook, so you don’t necessarily have to buy the TSO one.

25. Rajan says:

Hi, I wish to know in spite of using English as main home language and having Residence Visa (EC Member family) for 5 years in UK. Do I need to take English language test ? Thanks.

26. Mahsa says:

Hi,before i heard preparation classes made us ready and then they could give us certificate without doing life in the Uk test,Can we do this coarses any more??? Or we have to do certainly the government test?

• admin says:

Normally you do have to pass the government test. To confirm, please contact the Life in the UK test helpline on the number below:
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.

• Athar says:

hi
      I found your question as I was looking for information about the test, and I wonder if you’ve found any thing that could be done to get the certificate without doing the test?
      thanks

27. ahmed says:

Hi Hisham

you don’t have to re-pass it’s said above in the pdf file: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/182545/statement-of-intent-koll.pdf

Pass certificates for tests taken before 25 March will
    continue to be accepted. Individuals who passed the test based on the previous handbook will not
    be expected to take the revised test, even if they apply for settlement on or after 28 October 2013.

thanks
    Ahmed

28. Lavan says:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have passed Life in the UK test in 2008, I am holding ILR visa and I am planning to apply UK naturalisation this year 2014.
    Can you please advise me do I need to take new Test ?
    Any advice really appreciated.
    Thanks

29. sara says:

hi
    i came to uk before low change still in need to pass pet or not ?

30. Davar says:

Hi
    I have pass my life in the uk in 2012 do i need to take listening and speacking test or not thanks.

• admin says:

The language requirement is separate from the Life in the UK test. So yes you will have to demonstrate your proficiency in English. Please contact the UK Border Agency to learn more about the language requirement. Good luck!

31. bertha says:

Hi i have done The life in the UK test in 2010 and i passed it, This was for the citizenship as already have my settlement in UK, will I need to do the whole life in the UK test again or just the English bit to it. I need some Light in this as am not sure what i need to do.Thanks

• admin says:

Your 2010 test should still be valid. To be 100% sure, it is best if you contact the Life in the UK test helpline on the number below:
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.
      Good luck!

32. Rose says:

Hi, i have got a L2 in Health Social Care.
    Do i have to take B1 test?
    Thanks.

33. Ayesha says:

Hi, I have lived in the uk for over 10 years. I have leave to remain, I have been studying since I was year 5 up till second year of university so do I still need to take life in the uk test.

34. kabine says:

Hi dear,
    I heard that the test questionnaires will be taken from chapter 2 to chapter 6, is that true? Please advise.

• admin says:

The test is based on the 3rd edition chapter 1 to chapter 5. So please study chapter 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of the 3rd edition handbook called Life in the UK: A Guide for New Residents. Good luck!

35. dhivya says:

Hi,
    I need information on the speaking and listening test. How and where can I get certified for B1 CEFR? Is there a test for speaking and listening, just like the test for ‘Life in the UK’?

36. kim says:

HI
    is it true that if you have a degree in the UK you don’t have to do the life in the UK test?

37. Cyril says:

Hi Admin
    I wonder if you can help me?

I have been living in the Uk for 11 years. My wife is British and we have been married for 3 years. We also have a baby and she was born in the UK and has British Citizenship. I have been permanent resident in the UK for 9 years. I have First Certificate in English C1 and I am civil servant. I would like to apply for a British Citizenship I don’t see many advantage of it what I already have and do. However if I would consider to apply for Citizenship do I have to do this Life Test UK?
    Many thanks

• admin says:

Hello Cyril. Based on our knowledge, it seems that you do have to pass the Life in the UK test. But to be 100% sure, it would be wise to also ask the UK Border Agency. Good luck!

38. mallika vaja says:

Hi
    I have made an application for naturalisation about 3 months back and have received a letter from the Homeoffice asking for

‘a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher or equivalent level qualification’
    I need assistance to find out how do I go about it.

Thanks in advance.

39. Nuru says:

Hi as I have entry 3 certf pass in 2009 do I still need to take another one since the rules change in October

40. Nazira says:

Hello
    As I had life in the UK last march ( 2013) and I want to apply for citizenship do I need to take another exam?

• admin says:

No you shouldn’t have to take another exam. But please confirm with the Life in the UK test helpline on the number below:
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.

41. navjot says:

Hello I want to given to exam life in u k 2014. can I use the book ife in u k 2013?

42. Tham says:

Can i still use 2013 book AGUIDE FOR NEW RESIDENT 3rd edition book for my 2014 exams.?

43. Austin says:

I have done ielts test before coming to UK now I am applying to ILR do I need to ESOL?Pls kindly help,thanks.

44. qventin says:

Hello!

I made English language exam in my country, and its says the certificate is B2 level. If I ask NAric to confirm my level is enough proof for a citizenship application?
    Many thanks

45. Clendon says:

Hi did life in the uk test 4 years ago do have to it again

46. Furaha says:

I applied for the Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK in 2010, at that time I did not need to do the life in the UK test because I already possessed an English qualification (Entry Level 2) for which I studied with the combination of Knowledge of Life in the UK. I am now planning to apply for Naturalization in the UK and I would like to find out if it still the same rule. Thanks

47. Maria says:

Hi, how do I obtain English entry ? I done esol at college few years back issit allowed ?

48. david says:

i have ILR, do i need to do ESOL as well? i do have GCSE english though. i heard GCSE down’t count but i also heard some people saying that you don’t have to give ESOL if you have ILR is this true?

49. uzma says:

Hello I would like to know about life in the UK.I passed life in the UK in 2013 June from college. I would very grateful if you tell me. Is it still valid? Because I want to apply British citizenship in August and I done E 3. Thanks

• admin says:

Yes it should still be valid. Please double-check with the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

50. sultana says:

Hi I wanted to know about that I done esol entry 3 and doing level 1. What I need to do B 1 ? Also I passed life in UK on 2013 June from college. Is it valid? Thanks

• admin says:

Your Life in the UK test should still be valid. For the language requirements, please call the UK Border Agency.

• yusuf says:

hi culd u please help me ? do need to take life in uk test and esol or just esol test one of my friend took it wthout life n uk test

51. mackys says:

hi will the UKBA accept ESOL certificate dated 2003? it is entry level 3 B1. cause i took this on June 2003 and i jave passed it or will they asked me to take anothet test?

52. ena says:

Hi, I am a university student (4th year from September), here in Scotland. Do I have to pass the life in the UK test, and how could I provide my proof (as I still do not have any formal qualifications)? Thanks.

53. Mal says:

Hello

This year I have completed Diploma in Health and Social Care Level 3 and passed functional skills English (written, speaking and listening and reading) plus functional skills in math all level 2 with City and Guilds. Do I still have to be passing English test for British citizenship?

54. Lim says:

Hey ,
    I ahve Life in the Uk test: A guide forMew residents 2013 3rd edition. Can i still use it to give my test in this August?

55. E Samuel says:

i have passed life in the UK test in oct 2011 and do i need to redo the test again to apply for the nationality

56. Musa says:

Hi, I have studied in secondary school from year 7-11 in Uk and right now I’m in college in year 13. So do I have to do Life in Uk test.

57. Anthony says:

i am in year 2 studying BEng (Hon) in mechanical engineering and i will be graduating in july 2016. do i still need to pass the english test before aplying ilr?

58. kajis says:

Hi Admin, i just need to know that i passed my english test JetSet level 6 with 75% in all areas this is EDI (Ofqual) registered, and done in 2010. is this test still valid or i need to take new test. further more which one is the highest level among B1 and B2 ?

Thanks in advance.

59. sandhya says:

My son has passed gcse exam in the uk.I need to know it is valid for permanant resident? He is over 18 years old.Should he need to get esol leval 3?

60. princess says:

hi ive got entry 3 esol cert. last 2010 and ive been used it when i applied for my permanent resident can i still use me cert. now for my british citizenship app. thankyou

61. evelyn whitrod says:

i was planning to take a test by the next year,,just want to ask if the 3rd edition book still valid to review?there is no changing????thanks

62. Luqman says:

Hi i been in the UK for 10 years and I have 3 years resident permit its going to expire on October 2014 , do i need to take life in the UK test for extending my resident permit leave to remain?

63. Hamam says:

hello i will like to ask if your program still available can i still buy it
    Many thanks

64. Joe says:

Am on spouses visa and now applying for settlement ,have taking the life in the uk test do I still need to take esol b4 I can apply for my settlement?

65. fatu kamara says:

I have my esol level 3 is that okay for my British naturalization.

66. Deepa says:

I passed the life in the UK test last year August now if am applying for citizenship do i need to write the exam again or that certificate is valid even now?

• admin says:

Your last year test should be still valid. TO be 100% sure, please ask the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

67. Joseph says:

Hello, I was just wondering as a I am a little confused on whether it’s necessary for me to do an English test for citzenship when I have been in UK education since year 7 as well as obtaining my GCSE’s that includes English Language and Literature, furthermore I also have my A-levels on top of the fact that I do go university in London studying Literature, cheers.

68. Orjana says:

Hello!

I have passed ILTS exam with 6 ,speaking and listening were higher. Test is still valid.
    Do I need to take any other test of English ?

Many tanks,
    Orjana

69. sana says:

i did esol level 1 b1 but as im going for level 6 undergraduate so the requirement to have b2 so in this case i dont think i can use esol b1 and which exam is easier Ielts b2 or esol for undergraduate ?

70. nandita says:

What is the validity period of the Life in the UK test?

I am planning and booked my LIUK test on 22 march 2015 but I am due to apply for my ILR on 05th jan 2016 ( that’s when I qualify),
    so I am taking the test like 9-12 months before my test date.

is that ok.

1. any validity period mentioned in the ukba website
    2. any written documents on Home office website about the valid dtes of the test? how many days before we can take the test before the application date?
    3. I know the test centre supervior will send the details to home office but how long will the home office save my details on there system as I said I am applying for my ILR PR visa only after 9-12 months

please let me know if anybody knows anything about it

71. Nazia says:

I did life in the uk test bot I filed can you please help me now all
    Of the question please thanks

• admin says:

We can help you prepare for your second test. Our program covers the entire study guide. Have you already signed up with us?

72. khaleeq says:

Hi I wanted to find out that I passed my English course in 2009 for my British passport would they accept that or would I have to take a life uk test

73. temesgen says:

Hi if i past UK life test than when it will expired.

• admin says:

Your test certificate should not expire. To confirm, please contact the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

74. Syed Hassan says:

I am trying to book life in the uk test. spent hours going up and down but could not find any date for test. can any body help me how to book test?

75. Hamam says:

Hello, I m planning to have the life in the UK in March next year.2015 is it ok to buy it now or shall i wait for next year and one week of practicing is enough
    many thanks

• admin says:

Hello Hamam. Our training program is valid for a year, so you could start training now. There is a lot of information to learn, so it wouldn’t hurt to start now. Good luck!

76. Ehs says:

Hi
    I m also trying to book life in the uk test,nothing coming up. Can any body help please?

77. Hamam says:

thank you for your reply but what if they changed the question in 2015 is it going to be the same question as 2014?????
    thanks

78. DTT says:

Hello, I hope you are able to assist. I will be applying for British Citizenship in January. Having passed my Life in the UK test for my & proving my English Language ability, for my Indefinite Leave to Remain at the beginning of this year (2014) would I need to do this all again for my British Citizenship application? Seems a bit silly to have to prove these things twice (and pay for it all again)! Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

• admin says:

Your life in the UK test should still be valid. For your English Language ability, it is best to ask the UK Border Agency. Good luck!

79. uzma says:

Hello sir , I asked you about life in UK text which I passed in jone 2013. You said yes it’s valid and also I should ask to UK border agency. I rang border agency and asked they said yes it’s valid and you should apply but now I applied for British citizenship but home office said you do life in the UK again.
    Can you give me a advice what I do now. Thanks

• admin says:

If the Home Office says something different than the Border Agency, then we cannot say for sure which one is right. Maybe there is a new rule.

80. katarina says:

Hi
    i am wondering can the test expired ? if i did it in 2012 and didn’t apply for citizen yet?

81. gurung says:

hi ,are there any changes inside ilife in the uk book/?and could ya recommend the best book that could pass out easily ?

82. Roger Angelln says:

Pleased to know that the ESOL test for citizenship has not been changed and a B1 level of speaking and listening of English is a must for everyone.

83. Doranne says:

I am in the process of applying for British citizenship though means of naturalisation. I moved to the UK in 2003 and currently have indefinite leave to remain in the country. Furthermore, all my qualifications have been achieved in this country. The requirements for citizenship states that you need to have an English qualification at B1 level. Would my A-level and GCSE certificates be sufficient to prove my knowledge of the English language?

Also, I am in my second year at university. Will I need to provide a letter from my university stating that my degree taught in English?

Any advice with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

84. p singh says:

i will apply for indefinet in 2016 and i want life in uk test next month(jan 2015) so will it valid till April 2016 please let me know

• admin says:

Your test should still be valid. To confirm this, please contact the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

• p singh says:

thank you admin i have spoken to life in uk test helpline they said that will valid for life time
        thanks for advice

85. Hamza ejaz says:

i am 18 and currently doing my a levels. I have studied in a British school for three years and taken my GCSE exams here as well. I achieved an A in English Language GCSE and A* in English literature. I have also achieved an A* in ‘Preparation for Working life’ certificate recognised by AQA examination board. do i need to take the life in the uk test?

86. sofia says:

Hi im thinking the life in the uk tesest but im confused wich book 2014 our 2015 can you tell me any body please

87. Mohammed says:

Hi, looking to take the test and was wondering whether using the below book published in 2008 would be relevant? It will help the understanding since i speak Gujarati.

88. Leticia Bethell says:

Hi I been living in the U.K for 24 years and worked for 16, and I have Leave to Remain . I am studing Life in the United Kingdom a guide for New Residents 3rd. edition. I am planning to do my test in April 2015 it will be the same book? or I need to study the new book 2015.
    Thank you.

89. Leticia Bethell says:

HI, I have been living in the U.K for 24 years and worked for16 in the Co-operative group . I am married to a British citizen his name Mr. Ralph Bethell whom passed away in 2010, I would like to apply for my citizenship. I have Indefinite Leave to Remain. Do I need to do the Life in the United of Kingdom 3er edition Test? Please can you let me know ? thank you

90. Adan says:

Hi.
    does anyone have any suggestions on passing the life in the UK test since i’ve already failed twice. I will appreciate all your sayings thanks.

91. Rafal says:

Do you need to take the test if you study in school and have an English GCSE?

92. ABDUL JALIL says:

HI THERE,
    I WANT TO APPLY FOR NATURALISATION AS A BRITISH CITIZEN, I HAD ALREADY PASSED MY LIFE IN THE UK TEST BACK IN 2010 FOR MY INDEFINITE LEAVE, I ALSO HAVE ESOL ENTRY 2 READING, WRITING, SPEAKING AND LISTENING CERTIFICATES. IS THIS SUFFICIENT FOR ME TO APPLY. PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

• admin says:

Your test should be still valid. But please confirm by calling the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

93. farah says:

HI I did the IELTS IN 2011 and apply for the fiancee visa. it says its valide for 2years . now i need to apply for settlement did i need to do the english test again?

94. Wojtek says:

Hi. Does my Functional Skills level 2 qualifications enough or do I still need to do ESOL Entry 3? Thank you.

95. Roshan Thapa says:

Hi I had passed my life in the Uk test on 7th of March 2013. I want to apply for citizenship now. As I know the test had been changed on 28th October 2013. So my question is do i have to give another life in the uk test?

• admin says:

No your test should still be valid. You can call the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.) and confirm with them.

96. amos says:

i had passed my life in the uk 2009 for settlement do i need one now that iam applying citizenship

• admin says:

Your test should still be valid. You can call the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.) and confirm with them.

97. hicham says:

Hi every one I’ve past the life in the UK test 2010 now I want to apply for British passport do I need to do the test again or ESOL test or what please help me

98. Gamuchirai Mhonyera says:

I just want to know I wrote my English GCSE in 2012 here in England and passed. Do I also have to do the ESOL or IELTS for my ILR application

99. david malcolm says:

hi i need help to pass the life in the uk test i cant write or read English and there doesn’t seem to be a disk that reads questions and answer out so i can then learn it does your training program offer this as i am really stuck because i have tried to learn to write and read but just cant do it

100. Anonymous says:

Hi I’m roya I need some information about that I have 2 years 9 months spouse visa and I came here in 12 may 2014 and my visa finishes on February 2017 so can I gave now life in the UK test?

• admin says:

Hi Roya. You should contact the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.). Good luck!

101. ibrahim says:

dear admin.
    my wife has passed life in the uk test in 2012 and she has indefinite leave to remain since, now if we apply for nutralisaztion do we have to go through test again or the same test which she passed in 2012 going to be enough
    regard

• admin says:

Dear Ibrahim. Yes her life in the UK test should still be valid. But you should call the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.), explain her situation and confirm with them that her test is still valid. Good luck!

102. Anonymous says:

Hello …I wanted to know if I need to take the English exam B1 level again when I apply for British citizen? I just received my indefinite leave to remain as a spouse . Now im planning to apply citizenship. .just confused me a lot according ..to other people I dont need to take the English b1 level again because I already done it for my ILR ..this year.
    thank you.

I hope you can help me.. xx

103. Ibrahim Rahmani says:

Dear admin..
    my wife has passed Esol. skils for life speaking and listening national qualification unite by edexcel.
    it was in may 2012 and it was for ILR. Now its time to apply fie neutralization do we have to pass the life in um test?

• admin says:

The language requirements are different than the Life in the UK test. So she might have to pass this test. You should double-check with the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.).

104. Anneck says:

Hi, I passed my life in the UK test back in January 2012 and received my indefinite leave to remain three months later. The pass notification letter also states that my competence in English meets the required standard for naturalisation. Therefore just to confirm no further steps are necessary to prove my level of English when applying for citizenship this year? Thanks.

• admin says:

You should not have to prove your level of English again, but to be on the safe side, you should confirm this with the Home Office.

105. Hanz says:

Hi! I have taken my life in the uk test way back in 2010 to get my ILR. I want to apply for British citizenship. Do I still have to take the listening and speaking qualification in order to apply for my British Citizenship? If you could kindly clarify me on this regards would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• admin says:

You shouldn’t have to pass your Life in the UK test again, however you might have to take the listening and speaking qualifications again. Please confirm this with Home Office. Good luck!

106. wayne says:

Hi,

I received my I.L.R in July 2007 , passed the Life in the UK test that year but didn’t go on to apply for my passport …do I have to re-do and do the tests involved ?

Thanks
    Wayne

• admin says:

You shouldn’t have to pass your Life in the UK test again, but please confirm this with Home Office. Good luck!

107. john says:

hi i am now 18 and want to apply for citizenship. do i have to do the test even though i went through secondary school in this country since year 8.

108. Ozlem says:

Hello;
    I would like to apply for my citizenship end of this month.
    I need to get an English exam.Do you think Tier 4 speaking and listining exam would be ok?
    Because I can get Tier 4 results faster than the other exams.

109. Lyubomir says:

Hi there.I have ESOL LEVEL 3 certifficate and will I still need to do Life in the UK test?

• admin says:

Yes you have to take the test. Please confirm with the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

110. Ioseb says:

Hi, I have certificate of English L1 from college, will it be enough to proof my English level?

many thanks

111. sandie says:

Hie am Sandra I just want to find out because I come to uk 2008 I have indefinite to remain and I did my B1 ESOL course 2009 can I use that certificate to apply for neutralization British passport oh I have to still do the life in UK test PLEASE help me with more information thankyou

• admin says:

Yes you do have to do your Life in the UK test. Best to double-check though with the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

112. Anna says:

HELP !! I havent changed address on my account – now I cannot make changes. I have test this saturday 22.08. Wiill they let me still do the test ???

113. Mmaria says:

hi there, i passed my esol with life in the uk last 2009/
    Ddo i need take again, please let me know, coz i want to apply now, i am so comfused an panicking.

• admin says:

Hi Maria, if you already passed your Life in the UK Test, you shouldn’t have to pass it again. For your esol, you should ask UK Visas and Immigration.

114. melodina moore says:

hi my name is melodina.i have the pass certificate for the english language test but i am wondering do i need the life in the uk test as originally my british national husband and i where looking for a settlement visa.but as our circumstances have change and my husband wants to emigrate back to my home country at the end of 2016.i initially entered uk in aug 2010 on a spouse visa.that was then extended in june 2013 so we could get the requirements.my present visa comes to an end in dec 2015.but as our circumstanes have changed is it possible for me to obtain a visa extension only so i can remain with my husband until end of 2016 when we both emigrate.

• admin says:

Hello Melodina, your case appears to be a little complex, so it is better that you contact UK Visas and Immigration and ask them. That said, in most cases you do have to pass the Life in the UK test. Good luck!

115. nil says:

hii…I have my life in the uk test on next week.n may b they r changing from 15 September.and I wil apply for indefinite to leave remain after 3 years.so this test wil valid or no?plz..plzz tel me

• admin says:

The test should still be valid. Better confirm though with the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.). Good luck!

116. Hi pleas I can’t reading very well ,

117. Kate says:

Hi
    Do I need to take The Life in the UK test if I had ESOL classes with citizenship. (esol entry1-level1). Thanks

118. maryam says:

Hii me applied the British passbord but me haven’t a neturlazation so please tell me what happened now can they give me back my fees which i give them!!!! Thanks

119. maryam says:

Sorry I forget to tell u my visa is spouse

120. muniza waseem says:

Does the B1 esol entry test 3 expires for uk citizenship?

121. Sarah says:

I just came to Uk on 33months spouse visa. Do I apply for FLR after expiration of my 33months visa or ILR?

122. Saj says:

Hi I completed my life in the uk test in 2010. I’m applying for citizenship now in 2015. I wanted to know if I need to re take the test or the one I did in 2010 will be okay?
    Thank you.

• admin says:

Your 2010 test should still be valid, but you might want to confirm this with the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

123. lina says:

I did my Schooling (GCSE) and College (A-Levels) and University here in the UK….would i still have to take the uk life test?

• admin says:

Yes you should still have to pass the Life in the UK test. Please confirm with the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.). Good luck!

124. Prem says:

Hi I did pass my life in the UK test on 2011. Now i wanted to apply citizsnship. I heard we newd to give life in the test again and ESOL as well. Is it true ?? Or my life in the uk test still valid ??
    Thanks

• admin says:

Hi Prem, your Life in the UK test should not expire. Please confirm with the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.). Good luck!

125. Saqib says:

Hi
    I have passed life in the uk test in 2011.
    Do I have to pass listening and speaking test B1 etc as well.
    My papers were ready just come to know this.
    Or its valid ?

Please reply with mentioning my name “saqib”

• admin says:

Hi Saqib, your Life in the UK test should still be valid. For your specific case, please confirm with the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.). Good luck!

126. Bethany Hamblen says:

I passed the Life in the UK test when I applied for indefinite leave to remain (as the spouse of a British citizen) in 2011, and still have my test pass certificate, etc. At the time, I understood I would not need to retake it when applying for naturalisation. I’ve now started reading through guidance for the naturalisation application and there is a statement “If you have already satisfied the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK for settlement, by applying on or after 28 October 2013, you do not have to demonstrate it again”. I interpreted this to mean that I WOULD be required to demonstrate it again, since I passed the test in 2011. I was quite concerned and annoyed by this, as it contradicts what I was told and what it says on their website (https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test “You only need to pass the test once – you don’t need to do it again if you’re applying to become a citizen and already passed it as part of your settlement application.”). As far as I know I was not even eligible to apply for citizenship until 2014, so it looks like I would have had to re-take the test no matter what. I called their contact centre (0300 123 2253) and the woman I spoke to said that yes, I would need to retake the test. She said I should have applied for citizenship a year after gaining settlement, even when I explained to her that at the time I was granted ILR, the regulations stated I needed to wait 3 years (I think?). I’m not confident that she knew what she was talking about, but now I’m second guessing everything I thought I knew about this. She also said I would need to have my biometrics enrolled again even though I had a biometric residence permit when I had temporary leave to remain as the spouse of a British citizen (2009-2011). I really don’t want to have to spend the money on the Life in the UK book, study guide etc. again, nevermind the test fee and transportation to and from the test centre! It will also significantly delay my application, which I had hoped to submit in a few weeks.

127. Marie says:

Hi I have passed the life in the UK test in 2011 and currently holding an ILR visa. I have been in the UK for almost 10 years now too. Do I still need to take an english test to apply for British citizenship? Thank you in advance.

128. lenka says:

hi, so just to double chceck, firstly i need to pass the Life in UK test and then have a furter exam about written english? and then to apply for naturalization? can somebody advise as iam properly confused.
    thank
    Lenka

129. AJ says:

I have passed Life in the UK test in 2009, I am holding ILR visa and I am planning to apply for British naturalisation in this year 2016.
    Could you please advise me if I need to take another test ?
    Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks

• admin says:

Your Life in the UK test should still be valid. Please confirm with the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

130. Vlad says:

Hi,
    I have been a resident in the UK since I was a child. I have been to school in this country and have GCSEs in English and English literature, etc. I was wondering, do I would still have to do the test in order to apply for citizenship?

• admin says:

Hi Vlad, yes you most likely will have to do this test. Please confirm with the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

131. Cammille Sapin says:

Hello
    Do I still need to do life in the UK test if I’ve done year 11 and had GCSE.

Thanks

• admin says:

Your Life in the UK test should be still valid, but please confirm with the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

132. Melanie Edmondson says:

Hi I’m a german citizen that lives in the UK since 1991 I was born deaf I have never spoken german but I now can talk English and use BSL and lip read do I need to do the Life in the UK test .I went to school in the UK and did all my exams here to. Please can you help me. My father is British and my mother is german. I was born in Germany.

133. Kelly says:

Hello

I got my IDL in 2011 and for my application I used my level 2 esol certificate. I am now applying for citizenship I have passed the life in UK test but see the entry levels of english have changed. Will I. Now need to do level 3?
    Kind regarda

134. Do says:

I have passed my Life in the UK test this week. I also have a Cambridge First Certificate in English (B2) but did it in 2001. Living in UK since, have been class teacher in English Primary schools for years and have an English husband.
    Do I still have to pay for another English exam that is recent?
    Thanks.

135. seez says:

Hi, My mother is 51yrs old and she is on PIP (disability allowance)
    Does she required to take life in the uk test or she is exempt from the test? she currently holding her ILR.

Regards,
    seez

• admin says:

For any questions regarding the Life in the UK test and the requirements for this test, please contact the Life in the UK test helpline at 0800 0154245 (Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.)

136. Aysha Akther says:

hi i passed life in the u k in 2008. do i need to do it again for apply citizenship now? i also did esol entry 1,2,3 and level 1 and 2 course. what else do i need to do applying for a naturalisation? thank you.

137. Sharon says:

I am a refugee, I renew my travel document and I receive biometric card with refugee settlement on it. Now do I have to do life in the uk test. i am confused i want citizenship