New Life in the UK test 2013 (3rd edition): what you need to know

life in the uk 300x163 New Life in the UK Test 2013 (3rd edition)   what you need to knowFrom 25 March 2013, people seeking permanent residence in the UK or naturalisation as a British citizen will have to pass a new updated Life in the UK test.

The new test is based on a new revised handbook called Life in the UK: A Guide for New Residents (3rd edition). The new handbook has been updated to give people a more accurate image of life in the UK, with a greater focus on British culture and history.

The first chapter talks about the values and principles of the UK and how to become a permanent resident or citizen of the UK.

The second chapter, called What is the UK?, is a very short one describing the different countries that make up the UK.

The third chapter called A Long and Illustrious History is by far the longest chapter in this new handbook. The previous test did not cover very much of the UK history. But this new chapter covers the entire UK history from the Stone Age to the 2010 coalition government. It describes in details, for example, the Middle Ages, The Tudors and Stuarts period, and the First and Second World War. Most of the Kings and Queens of Britain are talked about, and special descriptions have been written about prominent British figures such as William Shakespeare, Winston Churchill or Margaret Thatcher. This chapter also describes the main wars that Britain has been involved in over the centuries, from the battles against the Vikings to the latest conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. Here is the chapter content:

• Early Britain
• The Middle Ages
• The Tudors and Stuarts
• A global power
• The 20th century
• Britain since 1945

The fourth chapter, called A Modern, Thriving Society, describes the UK today with the following chapter content:

• The UK today
• Religion
• Customs and tradition
• Sport
• Arts and culture
• Leisure
• Places of interest

The last chapter, called The UK Government, the Law and Your Role, gives information on government, democracy, the legal system and how people can contribute to their community. In this chapter, a great emphasis is given on the responsibilities as well as privileges of living in the UK. The chapter content is as follow:

• The development of British democracy
• The British constitution
• The government
• The UK and international institutions
• Respecting the law
• Fundamental principles
• Your role in the community

The new handbook testable content (which is the whole book except the glossary) is about 11,500 words longer than the previous handbook testable content. In addition, this new handbook has now about 210 dates to remember (as opposed to only about 30 for the previous handbook). So the new handbook has much more information to learn.

Like the old Life in the UK test, the new test consists of 24 multiple-choice questions that you will have to answer in 45 minutes.

Good luck to you all!

Do you need help preparing for your new Life in the UK test 3rd edition ? Sign up for our online New Life in the UK Test 2013 3rd edition – Complete Online Training Program!

Prepare for your Life in the UK Test flg2 New Life in the UK Test 2013 (3rd edition)   what you need to know
Learn more about our Complete Online Training Program
135 Comments » for New Life in the UK Test 2013 (3rd edition) – what you need to know
  1. Raquel says:

Hell i want to know when is the release of this new book and when is the new practice test question coming out many thanks

• admin says:

Hello Raquel, we will be launching our new test training program (3rd edition) in a few days. It is just in a final testing phase right now.

• alex says:

the book has been available 2 months ago. buy it from ebay or TSO shop. ;-)

• admin says:

A reproduction of the book is also included in our training program. We offer it as a complimentary convenience for our customers. Cheers!

2. saira says:

Hi,i just wana ask if we book the test before 25 march but the test date is after 25,do we still have to do the new test?

3. Carol says:

Glad to hear you’ll have the 3rd edition training program available soon. The extra study materials are not being released until April, and as my test is on the 27th, I’d welcome the opportunity for extra studying/testing opportunities! Thank you,

4. Sam says:

Hi

I have booked a test for the 25th for my wife and i have personally used your services before and they are very usefull i was wondering when will you release the 3rd edition study material as her dates are quite near

Please reply

• admin says:

Hello, we will be launching our new test training program by the end of the week. We will notify you by email.

5. ISLAM says:

hello, i have booked my test on 28 of march and i found the secand chapter quit difficult for me,i dont know which information or details i must give it more concentration ????and i would like to know more about the training programme

6. mano says:

Hi, I want to purchase your practice test, pls kindly inform how it works. is it in a pdf format? how long can i use?
    & i booked 3rd april, if i need to do it early date (if dates are available) how is the procedure….

awaiting for your soonest response.
    tks/mano

7. Anna says:

Hi , I’ve bought your training program and I’m happy with it. Unfortunately my LITUK test is going to be after 25th of march. I’m interested in your new 3rd edition training program. Could you please, let me know when it is going to be ready.
    Do I need to pay again for the new 3rd edition traning program?
    Thank you.

8. Kareen says:

Please my exam is on the 27Th of March. Kindly make available practice test book as soon as possible. It will be unfair for people taking the exam after 25Th March to take the test without a clue of what is to come, considering that previous candidates were exposed to practice questions.

9. Carol says:

I see you’ve put up the testing for the new version THANK YOU!!! I will be purchasing this weekend. MANY THANKS!!!

10. Kareen says:

When is the 2013 test practice questions available online?

11. maria says:

hello when do u have a practicing test or sample test 2013 edition the book life in uk bakground white or do you have online practicing test and how much please coz i have a book life in uk but no sample questionaire. and how is the passing grade. please… thank you very much indeed……

12. manyima says:

hello there can someone tell me how to open an account with this wetsite because I try to make one but I cant I want to stay training I did not booked my test yet

• admin says:

Hello. On our website, please click on the “TRAINING PROGRAM” link on the top menu. Then click “Buy now”. At the end of the payment process, click on the link “Important! click here to access your citizenship test training account”. Thank you. Cheers.

13. AJ says:

If I don’t pass the test, will I ve continued access to the practice questions or do I ve to pay again? Also could you plz recon firm if the practice sessions are for the third edition of the book coz I need to take the test after 25th April..

• admin says:

Hello. If you don’t pass your test, you will still have access to your account with us. When you create your account with us, if you enter a test date on or after March 25, you will be directed to the new 3rd edition training program. Cheers.

14. shushu says:

hi, i wanna ask is the pass test is valid for 2 years?? and without buying new addition can we practice on line??? its seems more difficult then previous..is it true??

15. Pritesh Patel says:

Hi
    Is there App for mobile of new life in the Uk Practice like old version had. so I can practice on mobile as well.

16. Wmmy Rabaya says:

Hi

I would like to book a life in the uk test for new rules. Please let me know major changes with existing sylabus.

17. Ali says:

i already pass life in the uk test and i have to apply for british naturalisation i august this year. i just want to ask that do i need to pass new version of life in the uk?

• admin says:

Hello Ali. We believe you do not have to pass the test again. But please confirm this with the Life in the UK test helpline on the number below:
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.
      Good luck!

18. Amir says:

I passed my life in uk test in January but I am applying for ilr at the end of April is my life in uk rest is still valid or I have to do it again ?

• admin says:

Hello Amir. We believe you do not have to pass the test again. But please confirm this with the Life in the UK test helpline (0800 0154245 – Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6).

19. Md riaz uddin says:

I can learn by online with my iPad
    Is it 3rd edition thank so much

20. Md riaz uddin says:

Is it 3rd edition

21. abdul hamid says:

how can i get 3rd edition in online.plz

• admin says:

Please click on the website top menu link “Training program”, then click on the link “Buy now”. Thank you.

22. Steve says:

Hi Admin:
    I have got the LITUK: A Journey To Citizenship and Practice test, and now you have released a new update. So does that mean that the one I have is of no use and I have to get the new edition??…

• admin says:

Yes. All LITUK tests taken on or after March 25, 2013, are based on the new handbook (Life in the UK: A Guide for New Residents – 3rd edition).

23. Anonymous says:

Hi I found the 3rd edition book very demanding I m more concern about the names and dates of birth ,like the Olympic page 84 ,I don’t know I found it dificult to understand it

• admin says:

Yes the new handbook has a lot of dates and names to remember! Our Timeline tool should help you remember the dates. Good luck!

24. manyima says:

hi there how long is new book is out for or is just couples months

25. alan dashiar says:

i have a question about people who spend two years living in uk and now want to apply for become indefinite leave to remain in uk.
    do those people with two years visa limited – spouse visa – requires an english test to apply for indefinite leave to remain?
    tnx

Hello Alan,
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.

26. beatrice says:

hello admin,plz i need more of d free practice test on line just as d previous (1st & 2nd editions) so i can study with it. dont hav cash 2 pay for ur online practice. i noticed the questions online in this 3rd edition is only on chapter three. thks

• admin says:

Hello Beatrice. We only offer one free chapter test and one free simulation test, to allow people to try our product before buying it.

27. rshareeha@yahoo.co.uk says:

hi i am studing life in the uk test but its hard to study what the best way to study?

• admin says:

Hello. The best way to study is with our training program. We developed an efficient method to learn the content of the book, and to practice with real simulation of the Life in the UK test. Good luck!

28. Ana says:

Hi,
    Could you help me with this matter please?
    I have attended and passed Level 1 and Level 2 ESOL at Derby College, this was in 2010.
    Do I still need The Life in the UK test for my residence application?
    Many thanks

• admin says:

Hello Ana. For any questions regarding the Life in the UK test and the requirements for this test, please contact the Life in the UK test helpline on the number below:
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.

29. Smita says:

Anyone can tell me where shall i get 3rd edition practice question for life in the UK test 3rd edition

30. Ruby says:

Hi, I have purchased the Life in the UK 3rd edition app for smartphones. I just wanted to know if this is enough. Does the app cover all areas of study or do I still need to purchase the books? Thank you…

• admin says:

Hi Ruby. Unless the app includes the handbook text, it’s best to also buy the handbook because you really need to read it first before doing the simulation tests. Good luck!

31. Kamil says:

Hi is there any specific criteria before applying for UK citizenship ?
    i heard You have to be in UK for at least 5 years and have all your payslips to prove that u actually worked here . is that true ?

32. danutaborczyk says:

Heya i m for the first time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly useful, it helped me out a lot. I hope to present one thing back and aid others such as you helped me.

33. robert says:

my wife has the english version 2013 book life in the uk [ 3rd edtion ]
    but i was wondering if there is a book the same with chinese writing so my wife could pratice with is there one on the market i could buy for her many thanks with kind regards mr peters

34. Nowres says:

Hi, on your website you have : 100% satisfaction guaranteed- pass your test or your money back. I need to know how does that work? Also can I use the material as long as I want?
    Thanks

Hello Nowres,
      If you fail the official test, and if you have completed our entire training before your official test date (all chapters completed and 100% of the simulation tests completed), you will have to email us your test result certificate. Upon receiving this certificate, and upon verifying your completion of the training, we will refund your fees (£29).
      You can use the material as long as you want. There is no time limit on your account.
      Good luck!

35. wrusxpa says:

I savor, result in I found exactly what I used to be having a look for. You have ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

36. nadia says:

oh my god this is not good i had study the old edition book and i was ready to give that test and now this new one what to do ? i cant study with my baby and my visa will expire soon i don’t know what to do please help me. i want to ask can i give the test with that old one ?

• admin says:

Hello Nadia. Unfortunately you can only take the new test, based on the new 3rd edition handbook. You should contact the Home Office and explain your situation, maybe they will be able to help you in some way.

37. dydona says:

My spouse and i have been absolutely cheerful when Chris managed to complete his preliminary research out of the precious recommendations he received when using the web site. It is now and again perplexing to just always be giving away tips and tricks which many people have been making money from. Therefore we take into account we now have you to thank for this. The specific illustrations you made, the simple blog menu, the friendships you can help create – it’s most astonishing, and it is aiding our son and the family imagine that the idea is entertaining, which is extraordinarily essential. Thanks for the whole thing!

38. umeed says:

Hi, my mom done practice through different website of life in the uk test these are all recent design webs according to 3rd edition but when she go for exam she get confuse easily becoz she is not familiar to the method of actual test. can you please help me to do something. we are really worried. Is there anyway to set some advance practise test just according to the real method.thanks

• admin says:

Hello Unmeed. Very good point. We are actually the only website offering “simulation tests” that replicate exactly the format and design of the real Life in the UK computer test. We’ve done that for people like your mother who need to learn the content of the handbook AND familiarise themselves with the actual format of the official computer test (the real method as you call it). Your mother can take our free simulation test here: http://ukcitizenshipsupport.com/simulation-test/simulationtest/

Or for more in-depth practice, she can purchase our online training program here: http://ukcitizenshipsupport.com/life-in-the-uk-practice-test/ and then click on the “Buy Now” down that page.
      Good luck to your mother!

39. dhalliday says:

I have got a question about the dates we must know. On the real test as answers would be given years when ‘somebody’ was born and died or the years would be given separately?

• admin says:

Theoretically, they could ask those questions both ways. For the purpose of our training program, we combine these dates (birth/death) in one question. Good luck!

40. rshareeha@yahoo.co.uk says:

hi sir i am passed my exam thanks

41. Nicholas says:

Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks Nicholas

42. elena says:

hi guys, how similar is real test to the practice and questions book?done this from official handbook and did some sample tests from different websites and they have made me worry cos they r asking for stuff which was not covered in practice quiz or not even in hadndbook 3rd edition.

• admin says:

Hello Elena. Our questions are all based, without exception, on the new 3rd edition 2013 handbook. They are very similar to the official ones, and some exactly like the official ones. Overall, our practice questions seem to really work for passing the official Life in the UK test, based on our customers’ feedback. (see http://ukcitizenshipsupport.com/customer-reviews/).
      If you practice with us, you will be well prepared. Good luck!

43. Alonzo says:

You could definitely see your enthusiasm in the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart. Alonzo

44. Kasie Komarek says:

What’s up to every one, the contents present at this web site are actually remarkable for people knowledge, well, keep up the nice work fellows.

45. Bolanle Onagbesan says:

Please can you tell me the difference between the Life in the UK Test Book/CD ROM 3rd and 7th Editions. Actually I could not find the 3rd Edition in CD Rom on line. Can you help please?

• admin says:

Hello Bolanle. The latest official version of the Life in the UK test handbook is called “3rd edition”. There is no 7th edition. We include the 3rd edition (text and audio) in our training program.

46. Rex says:

Thank you for another excellent article. Excellent job.

47. siddiga says:

Hi, please I wana Aske this book available untell what time ?Because Itis verey defficult .

48. siddiga says:

next book, comming in what time ?

• admin says:

This new edition (3rd edition) just came out this year, so we are not sure when the next edition will come out. Maybe in few years?

49. Khodeh says:

Is there a big difference with the 2nd and the 3rd edition??

50. Marianna says:

Hello, how many questions of 24 need to answer correct to pass the test? Thanks

51. Srini says:

Hi,
    If I buy online course today then what is the validity period. Because I’ll spend few hours only in a week for reading these chapters. Please suggest the answer.

Regards,
    Srini

52. sara says:

Hello how are you thanks if u can answer to me please i need soon applay for citizen ship for 11 novembber but some people he told me i need the pass both exam B1 entry3 and life in the uk test please tell me really i need the both exam or just i need pass b1 please answer to me thank u

• admin says:

Hello Sara. For this question, it is best if you contact the Life in the UK test helpline on the number below:
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.

53. soydan says:

hello there,is there anyone can bright me with some help please. what do i have to do to get uk citizionship passport? do i only need to get life in the uk test certificates or do i also need entry-level 3 beside Of it? And how long do I have to wait to apply British passport after becoming resident? Many thanks.

54. amer says:

hi just I whant know can you send me life in the uk test 3 ed?onlie webside please

55. Amutha says:

I already pass life in the uk test and I have to apply for British naturalisation I November this year I just want to ask that do I need to pass new version of life in the uk

56. harry says:

Hello…

I ve passed my life in uk test in 2011 , will it be still valid if I want to apply for british citizenship?

• admin says:

Hello Harry. Yes it should be still valid. To be 100% sure, please contact the Life in the UK test helpline on the number below:
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.

57. David says:

I think this test is very hard even the English people they don’t knows they country very well!! They expecting for a forerunner people KN England batter then the English people dos I things it’s not fare

58. celine says:

Hi, if i take the exam next year at the month of Feb.2014 is still the same book 2013 3rd edition? Then if i pass the test next year is still valid the result of my exam life in the UK until my visa expired in 2015?thanks pls reply

• admin says:

Hello Celine. Yes the book 3rd edition will the same in Feb 2014. The test result should still be valid in 2015. To be extra sure (sometimes rules change), you should contact the UK Border Agency to confirm this in 2015.

59. aziz mhasri says:

hello guys my freind don’t know to read and write and he must passe his exam, so how can he do please

• admin says:

Please contact the Life in the UK test helpline on the number below:
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.

60. yousif says:

Hi,
    kindly I would like ask is the test audible or read in the centre??
    which one similar to the test CD or Book

61. Rupa says:

hi,

I’ll be giving my Life In UK test in 2015..which edition should i go for..

• admin says:

Hello Rupa. The UK government just changed their Life in the UK test this year (May 2013), so there shouldn’t be any change in the next few years. The 2015 edition should be the same as the one now (3rd edition).

62. AlKhalidi says:

Hello. I have passed the life in the UK test 16.06.2011.My test instance ID was ( 2411234 ). Can I apply with this test result now , or do I have to take the test and pass it again ? Thank you.

• admin says:

You shouldn’t have to pass a Life in the UK test again. To be 100% sure, please contact the Life in the UK test helpline on the number below:
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.

63. Ruby86 says:

Hi,
    I wanted to know that from 24 questions how many have to be right to pass the test.
    Thank you.

64. Hanna says:

I have applied for my British citizenship recently with the LITUKTest which I passed before March 25th without realising There was a new test so I proved my Btec NationalDiploma in Heath and social care with DDD triple distinction would that show home officer meet the requirement of speaking english. This new rules is crazy like. I have lived, went to school everything. Need help and advice am I gonna have a successful application or rejects because I didn’t take the new test and to provemy English

65. Blossom says:

Hi,
    I would like to know what is the starting age of which you take the test. My younger brother is 14 years old and a non British citizen but has an indefinate leave to remain status, along with my mother. She has taken the test but wants to know if he will have to before she applies for citizenship?

• admin says:

Normally, if you are under 18 years of age, yo don’t need to take the test. But it is always best to double-check with the Life in the UK test helpline on the number below:
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.

66. Hassan says:

Hi,

I will be applying my citizenship soon so this means i will have to pass both tests. Currently i am a University student and studying Pharmacy which is a masters course. At the moment i am in the first year which is level 4. I have already passed my A levels and the A levels i studied were biology, chemistry and maths. I have also passed my english and maths gcse. I am aware that i will definitely have to pass the computer based life in the UK but can any of my achieved qualification mentioned above fulfills the requirements for english language qualification. Please kindly help!!!

Kind Regards,

Hassan

• admin says:

Hello Hassan. We can only tell you that yes you will have to pass the Life in the UK test. For the language requirements, please call the UK Border Agency. Good luck!

67. Ali says:

Hi can you tell me if ESOL LEVEL ENTRY 3 AND 2 covering the life in the UK test? Because i studied three days course which they told me this course covers everything including life in the UK test as i ready passed according to nationality check: i have to take life in the UK test.? Any advise? Thanks please

• admin says:

We are not 100% sure about your situation, so it is best if you contact the Life in the UK test helpline on the number below:
      0800 0154245
      Opening hours for the helpdesk is Monday to Friday 8-6.

68. NATALIA says:

Hi! Can you please tell me if it is any difference between these books- LIFE IN THE UK A GUIDE FOR NEW RESIDENTS (3rd ed) 2013 and LIFE IN THE UK A GUIDE FOR NEW RESIDENTS (3rd ed) 2014? I just bought 2013 book but sow online 2014 book! shall I change my book? thank you

69. Mel says:

Hi I have bought the2014 version of this book and have booked my test for march. I just got an email telling me my test will be on the 3Rd edition. The 2013 book.do I now need to buy this or are they the same?

Hope you can help!
    Mel

• admin says:

Hello Mel. The new 3rd edition is from March 2013. There is no new edition for 2014, so your 2014 book should be the exact same. Our program includes the 3rd edition. Good luck!

• Priti says:

Hi Admin, my PR application is due in this year. I need to know :
        - What is the validity of the test result of LIUK test ?
        - IS the new edition than 3rd EDition about to be published ? When?

Priti

• admin says:

Hello Priti. There is no stipulated validity period, so the test should remain valid indefinitely. We are not aware of any new edition (4th edition) to be published in the near future. The 3rd edition is only a year old, so chances are the UK government won’t publish a new edition for a few years. Good luck

70. Femi says:

Please, where do I get the book and how much is it?

71. D says:

Hi, I have been reading 2014 edition, Life in the uk test study guide. Today, I booked my test but it said the test will be based on 3rd edition. Is there much difference in the books. Thank you.

72. Sara says:

Hi there, is this the latest edition? I am planning to give the LITUK test before September and am in dilemma as to which book to buy. Is buying a book better or learning online?

• admin says:

Hello Sara. The 3rd edition is the latest edition that you must study. When you purchase our online training program, this study guide is included.